Thursday, July 2, 2009

Knitting My Way to Sanity


A disclaimer: most of this entry is not about Wyatt, unlike my earlier posts. However, I have included some pictures of him at the end of this post.

In the midst of a bad spring, I decided that I needed something to keep my hands busy, so I turned to knitting, which I have picked up off and on in the last couple of years. Mollie Erickson and Joyce Stamm were kind enough to refresh me on the basics (which my mom had shown me a long time ago) and teach me how to knit socks. Socks seemed pretty daunting to me, as they involve 4 needles! But, the plus side is that they are really quick to do. Here is a sample of my work: 5 1/2 pairs of socks.


The ever patient Mollie and Joyce also turned me on to knitting for charity organizations, such as Warm Woolies. Recently, I sent a batch of children's socks to them and in return got this beautiful batch of Italian yarn--20 skeins in all. You are supposed to knit this yarn into socks or sweaters for Warm Woolies within three months. But the idea is great both because it keeps people warm and you get a box full of free yarn. I loved the colors that I received. In the first picture, you can see that I have already broken into the new yarn.


On another creative note, our sister-in-law, Jennifer Bone, is very talented at drawing. She did this drawing based on the photograph that appeared on Wyatt's cover of Evansville Parent.








Wyatt with his tool belt. Notice the mallet that is threatening to bring the belt down to his knees.

No comments:

Post a Comment